Mark Twain said once that "if the first thing you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with the satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the worst thing that is going to happen to you all day long."
My frog is exercise. I hate it. The idea of getting up and putting on clothes to sweat in...yeah no. So, I get up between 5 and 6 every morning to get it done. When I get home from school, my frog is planning for the next day. I usually would wait until the very last minute to get everything together and feel prepared for the next day. This causes stress. Now, when I get a minute free, I start writing and planning the specifics of my next day. This is helpful to me because I LOVE to procrastinate.
In chapter 16, the book talks about motivating yourself into action by controlling your inner and outer dialogue. He says "you should never share your problems with anyone because 80 percent of the people don't really care and the other 20 percent are kindof glad you got the problems in the first place." Don't we all do that at some time or another? Oh...Johnny Bob in my first hour is the death of me and Suzie from fifth hour won't stop talking. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in a teacher lunch where everyone is simply complaining about their students and about their job in general. What is the point?
He also talks about the four behaviors of optimists. 1. Optimists look for the good in every situation. 2. Optimists seek the valuable lesson waiting for them to learn in every bad situation. 3. Optimists seek a solution to every problem instead of whining about them. 4. Optimists think and continually talk about their goals.
I encourage you, the next time someone asks how you are doing...you should answer, "great!" If you think it, it will happen.